I cannot believe I am half way through my pregnancy!
I went and had my Morphology scan done at the amazing Sydney Ultrasound for Women (SUFW) and got to see our second baby boy growing big & strong in my tummy <3
For those of you who either haven’t been pregnant before, are only just pregnant and/or have never had a morphology scan, heres a bit more info for you:
This ultrasound is often called a fetal morphology or anomaly scan.
The scan takes a close look at your baby and your uterus (womb). The person carrying out the scan (sonographer) will check that your baby is developing normally, and she’ll look at where the placenta is lying in your uterus. The scan will happen when you’re between 18 weeks and 20 weeks plus six days pregnant.
The scan’s main purpose is to check that your baby is developing normally and growing on schedule. And usually takes around 30-45 minutes.
During the scan, the sonographer will look at:
- The shape and structure of your baby’s head. At this stage, severe brain problems, which happen very rarely, are visible.
- Your baby’s face, to check for a cleft lip. Cleft palates inside a baby’s mouth are hard to see and aren’t often picked up.
- Your baby’s spine, both along its length, and in cross section, to make sure that all the bones align, and that the skin covers the spine at the back.
- Your baby’s abdominal wall, to make sure it covers all the internal organs at the front, as well as check the placenta, umbilical cord and the amniotic fluid.
- Your baby’s heart. The top two chambers (atria) and the bottom two chambers (ventricles) should be equal in size. The valves should open and close with each heartbeat. Your sonographer will also examine the major veins and arteries that carry blood to and from your baby’s heart.
- Your baby’s stomach. Your baby swallows some of the amniotic fluid that he lies in, which is seen in his stomach as a black bubble.
- Your baby’s kidneys. The sonographer will check that your baby has two kidneys, and that urine flows freely into his bladder. If your baby’s bladder is empty, it should fill up during the scan and be easy to see. Your baby has been doing a wee every half an hour or so for some months now!
- Your baby’s arms, legs, hands and feet. The sonographer will look at your baby’s fingers and toes, but not count them.
As well as checking your placenta and uterus.
Information via: Baby Center AU
So our scan went well, baby is all good, everything is in the right spots, he’s growing on track and definitely a boy 😛
Our little boy is currently 30cm long and approx. 453 grams / 1 pound.
He has a strong heartbeat of 120 bpm.
He’s got 10 fingers, 10 toes and all limbs are growing as they should.
No abnormalities detected and all round, a healthy baby <3
I know its optional, So did you have a morphology scan when you were pregnant?
Did you think it was beneficial?
I personally, take every opportunity that I can to see my bubba on ultrasound 😀
Did you enjoy following me to my ultrasound?
Would you like more “follow me to” posts around my pregnancy?
Let me know in the comments below or via social media 🙂